Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blog Post # 7

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture... I must say that this was very inspiring. I for one have put my childhood dreams aside for a long time and just recently decided to achieve them. I have always wanted to be a teacher, but seem to somehow let the brick wall that he talks about stop me instead of show me how bad I want it. When I decided to go back to school, I told myself that no matter how many obstacles I faced, I was going to get my degree.
I have learned a lot through my experiences throughout life, and have never heard "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." After hearing him say that it made me reflect on all the things I have experienced and learned. It also made me realize how much time I have spent doing other things, instead of achieving my childhood dream. It is so true that you can't change the cards you're dealt, but if you play the cards right and have a strong support system, the hand you are dealt becomes a little easier to play. That's why in the game of spades you have a partner, someone who is there to help you when the opponent throws a stumbling block in your way. We all need that extra push and for me I think that hearing this lecture was that push.
Anything is possible if you believe. You have to believe in yourself and set goals. I learned a lot from this lecture, but the main thing I want to teach my students is, not to complain, but work harder. Complaining doesn't change the situation, it only holds you back from finishing it. The more you complain the more aggravated you become and you are no longer focused on what you are trying to accomplish.
As a future teacher, I will definitely use what I learned from this lecture to inspire my students. Enabling the dreams of others is what teachers do daily. We should continue to encourage our students to aim higher, don't settle, continue to strive for the best. We have to teach our students to always be prepared, because as he said, luck is where preparation meets opportunity. And opportunity always leads to growth, which leads to success.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to become a teacher, but then once I go to college I change my mind and went into another direction. I was thinking about more money. I quickly realized that making more money does not mean anything, if you are not happy with what you are doing. I found that doing things you like no matter the price makes you a better individual. I am very excited about having my own classroom and being able to help my students, well that is if I am not replaced by a machine.

    ReplyDelete