Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog Post # 9

stay positive
What I've Learned This Year I have learned a lot this semester as a result of EDM310. I can do things with a computer I never knew existed. After reading Mr. McClung's post, I've also learned that my first year as a teacher will be what I make it. I know I will be nervous and trying to make a good impression that I will make some mistakes, but knowing that I will have the next year to come back and learn from those mistakes and do better is great. I have been doing some observing at an elementary school and I have notice that what Mr. McClung said about lesson plans is true. Even though she has her lesson plan ready for each day, there are things that seem to distract not only the students but also the teacher. So sometimes no matter how prefect you think your day will go things happen that you can't control and you just have to pick up where you can and continue.
Communication in the school and classroom is very important. Teachers must have good communication skills to work so many different people. Listening to your students makes a big difference and it also lets them know that you respect them and their feelings.I think that what Mr. McClung said about being reasonable with your students is food for thought. You should not lower your expectations, but you should put in more time with students who you see are having trouble and give them a little more time to grasp new material before moving on to the next lesson.
We never stop learning is something that I find to be so true. You are never to old to learn something new. I am so grateful for the new ideas and tools that I have learned in the 9wks of this class and even though it started out a little foggy, I can see my way now.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Lawanna!

    Communication is important and listening is a big part of the process. We must listen to our students. This is a big part of one of our resounding themes in EDM 310, that we should be willing to learn with the students. If we think we are always right then there is no way we could listen to the students. As long as we are open minded and willing to learn then listening will come automatically. This is also one of the reasons reflection or "reflecting" as Mr. McClung has demonstrated in this post is an important part of being an effective teacher. The mindset of reflection invites openness and a willingness to listen for usable feedback or new ideas. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no rosy ideas about my first year teaching but I am excited about it. I know it will be hard and when the students discover its my first year God be with me. But I know experience, especially bad ones, are what make you grow.

    ReplyDelete